River Forest Public Library 
 
 
River Forest, Illinois
Addition & Historic Renovation
|

click above to enlarge

Carow · Architects · Plus provided services for renovating and restoring the River Forest Public Library, and added 9,000 square feet to complement and enhance the existing building. Originally designed by William Drummond in 1929, the historic building was lifted four feet off the ground and new foundation walls were poured. Raising the building preserved the existing structure and modernized it at the same time. It created higher ceilings, provided handicapped accessibility, and permitted installation of modern electrical, heat, and air systems. This building contains the new lobby, circulation desk, large community room, offices, staff lounge and kitchen.

The new addition reflects the original building in both design and size. Like the original building, the addition has a cathedral ceiling and sloped roof. The two buildings are joined by a glass atrium.

The first floor of the new addition houses children's services, stacks, reader's advisory desk, study room, and librarian's office. The second floor contains adult and young adult books, periodicals, card catalogs, study rooms, audio-visual materials, and the reference desk.

previous project  back to library design index  next project