Portage County Public Library
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
New Building
c

click above to enlarge


Carow · Architects · Planners designed the 50,000 square foot Portage County Public Library located in the Main Street Historic District of Stevens Point, Wisconsin. The new library reuses and integrates historic building into the project. The buildings built between 1872 and the turn of the century contain administrative spaces and the meeting room, located in a former commercial space, designed to recreate the period of the original buildings with the reuse of bronze Carnegie doors and transom panel from the former library, restored lead glass windows, and a replication of the original tin ceiling.

Also included on this project was restoration of leaded glass windows, reproduction of sheet metal details, stabilization of limestone ornaments, erection of all new interior structure, and underpinning and bracing of existing masonry walls. The project preserves and restores five building facades in one of the most complete and intact sections of history in the Midwest.

previous project  back to historic restoration index  next project