Forest Public Library
River Forest, Illinois
Addition & Historic Renovation
click above to enlarge
This historic landmark building, Carnegie prototypical library was designed by William Drummond in 1929. The building was lifted five feet off the ground and new foundation walls were poured. Raising the building preserved the existing structure and modernized it at the same time. Higher ceilings on the lower level permitted installation of modern electrical, heat, and air systems. Lifting the building allowed handicapped accessibility through the main entrance and the placement of a new elevator in the new addition linked to the original building with a glass atrium.
The lobby contains
the new circulation desk with inlaid brass and ivory that followed a 1929
stair detail, and entrances to the large community room, offices, staff
lounge, and kitchen, as well as a continuation into the new addition.
The terrazzo floor of the lobby has a multi-colored pattern with a logo
for the library that came from the upper floor lighting fixtures.