Public Building Commission of Chicago
Chicago Board of Education
Chicago, Illinois
c

click above to enlarge


Andrew Jackson Elementary School, Chicago, Illinois: Dwight H. Perkins, the noted Chicago Architect, designed the original north portion of the school circa 1890 and the south section in 1907. Originally an elementary school, the school was converted to an adult education center. The renovation work to return the facility to an elementary school consisted of new roofing, masonry cleaning/tuckpointing, stone lintel stabilization, window replacement, science and library room casework, additional toilets and all new interior finishes. Construction cost: $1.32 million.

Gage Park Elementary School: A 57,000 square foot building built in 1914 which had been used as a vocational high school. Renovation returned the school to its original use as an elementary school. Work included roofing, exterior masonry parapet repair/rebuilding, new interiors and steps, handicapped accessibility, addition of toilet rooms, a fire alarm system and new interior finishes. Construction cost: $880,000.

Von Humboldt Elementary School: This 153,000 square foot facility is one of Chicago's oldest and most historic schools. The original building was constructed in 1884 and additions were added in 1910 and 1921. Work consisted of roofing, general masonry restoration, entrance replacement and handicapped accessibility. Project construction cost was $372,000.

Stockton Elementary School: A 76,000 square foot school built in 1924 and expanded in 1964. Present work consists of interior space rearrangement, interior finishes and decorative plaster restoration, and handicapped accessibility. Construction cost for this project was $422,000.

previous project  back to historic restoration index  next project