Congregation Beth Shalom   
Northbrook, Illinois
New Building


click above to enlarge

The Congregation Beth Shalom, an 1100-family synagogue, was provided with an expanded resource center and interior renovation of most of the facilities, including the daycare, religious school, and social halls. Carow Architects centered the design on an expansion of the main lobby and extending the lobby to the east to a new Wintergarden and Beth Hamidrash (Chapel). The resource center was located to open off the south side of the lobby.

The renovated schools were rebuilt with bright colors, and the administration and a new main entrance placed in a new wing with a single secure entrance, enclosed courtyard for outdoor play, a new lobby, staff lounge and administrative offices.

The project was built in two phases with the facility remaining open during the extensive renovation. Completion is due with the installation of a translucent glass wall created by Foxfire Glass of Detroit to blend with the colors of the lobby and the Chapel. The photos were taken before final completion of the Wintergarden and Chapel.

back to library design index